If Disaster Strikes
If Disaster Strikes and you are instructed to take shelter, do so at once. Provided are some tips on how to handle disasters.
- Listen to the radio or television for instructions.
- Cut off all heat and air systems.
- Shut all windows and doors.
Finda safe place on the lowest level of your home or in an interior room with no windows.
- If gas, unplug
telephoneand do not use any electrical switches or equipment.
- Listen to the radio or television for locations for the emergency shelters and other instructions
- Wear protective clothing and sturdy shoes.
- Take your disaster supply kit.
- Use travel routes specified by local authorities, do not use shortcuts.
- Administer first aid and get help for those injured.
- If at home, check for damage but do not light matches, or candles, or turn on electrical switches.
- Check for fires, electrical, gas, and other hazards. Look for spilled chemicals and be aware of any fumes in the air. If any of these exist, evacuate and contact 911.
- Check on your neighbors, especially the elderly or disabled.
yourout of town contact, if possible, and then do not use the phone again unless it is an emergency.
- Stay away from flooded areas, downed power lines, etc.
- Listen to local radio or television for information about where you can get disaster assistance.
- Call the power company.
- Use a flashlight or battery operated lantern. Do not use candles for emergency lighting as they are a fire hazard.
- Turn off all major appliances since they could overload the electric lines when power is restored.
- Keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed as much as possible.
- Use portable generators cautiously. Make sure they are operated only out of doors in a
well ventilatedarea. Don't refuel the generator while it is hot. Do not connect the generator to your home unless you have a professionally installed transfer switch for the generator.
- In cold weather, drain pumps, supply lines, water heaters, and boilers can freeze when power is lost. Traps in drains can also freeze. To avoid burst pipes close the main water valve and open the spigots and supply lines and drain them.