Approximately 13 months after closing to the public in response to the then-emerging COVID-19 pandemic, Bristol, Tennessee Parks and Recreation staff have announced plans for the reopening of the Slater Community Center. Beginning Monday, May 3, activities at the center will resume, though users of the facility can anticipate a number of modifications that will be in place.
Hours of operation will be Monday through Thursday from 8:00 AM until 8:00 PM. Participants whose birth year is an even number will be able to access the center on Mondays and Wednesdays, while those with odd-numbered birth years will be able to attend on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The center will be closed to the public on Fridays to allow for thorough cleaning.
Additionally, program participants should be aware of the following modifications:
- Face masks will be required inside the building and proper social distancing should be practiced.
- Upon entry, all participants will be screened for COVID-19 symptoms or possible exposure, including a temperature check. Anyone exhibiting symptoms will not be permitted to participate in programs.
- All classes will be held in the large gymnasium.
- No equipment will be provided for yoga classes. Participants must bring their own.
- Exercise rooms will be open with a one-hour time limit per user.
- No food or drinks will be permitted in the building with the exception of water bottles. Water fountains will not be in operation.
- Patrons will be able to play billiards with a limit of two players per table, though no spectators will be permitted.
- The cafeteria will be open for fellowship with appropriate social distancing, though no meals or snacks will be served.
- One-on-one fitness classes will resume on May 17 with prior registration required.
- At any point, should the number of participants in the building or adequate space become a concern, staff may limit additional individuals from entering.
“No one has been more eager to resume our regular programming than the recreation staff here at Slater. That said, protecting the health and safety of participants and staff members remains our number one priority,” said Parks and Recreation Director Terry Napier. “The senior population we serve are at a much higher danger of complications should they become infected with the virus, so we’ve had to closely examine every aspect of our operations and come up with solutions that minimize the risk of infection wherever possible.”
All participants will be required to fill out new information and release forms. Registration will be available for two weeks from Monday, April 19 through Friday, April 30. Participants are encouraged to register online at bristoltn.recdesk.com/Community/Membership. In-person registrations may also be completed at the Slater Center office during this period from 9:00 AM until 5:00 PM Monday through Friday. Individuals with even-numbered birth years may register in person on Mondays and Wednesdays, and those with odd-numbered birth years on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Fridays during this two-week period will be open for any in-person registrations.
For more information, please contact the Bristol, Tennessee Department of Parks and Recreation at (423) 764-4023 or email [email protected]