What can I do if I find a water leak at my residence or business?
The city is responsible for the repair of leaks on the street side of the meter. Any repairs and consumption charges that result from damages on the customer side of the meter are the responsibility of the property owner. If you locate and repair a leak, bring a copy of your repair bill or any receipts where you purchased parts for repair to the office to see if you quality for an adjustment. We are also able to discuss payment agreements if needed.

Show All Answers

1. How much is the connection fee for water, sanitary sewer, and/or trash service?
2. How did stormwater utility billing service come into existence?
3. What is stormwater runoff, and how does it affect me?
4. How did the City of Bristol develop its stormwater utility program?
5. What are the stormwater rates?
6. How will the stormwater utility fee be charged?
7. How did the City determine the amount to be charged on my utility bill for stormwater?
8. Are other municipalities requiring citizens and businesses to pay a stormwater Utility Fee?
9. When will the stormwater fee take effect?
10. How can I learn more about the stormwater utility fee?
11. Do you offer payment extensions?
12. How can I change the name on my account?
13. What can I do if I find a water leak at my residence or business?
14. Who is the point of contact for stormwater fee questions?
15. What are my payment options?